InfoTech WNY brings you our annual winter intersession IT Shadowing Program. We are currently in the process of identifying local companies/IT professionals who are willing to allow students to shadow an IT staff member throughout the day. You are able to spend the entire day to get a more complete view of a 'day-in-the-life'.
Since this program is open to all students from InfoTech WNY member schools, there are many more students than companies; therefore, we are only allowing students to participate in one shadow day (unless the supply outweighs the demand).
BENEFITS TO THE STUDENT:
- Understanding of how their coursework connects to real IT solutions in industry.
- Discover career opportunities through observation and discussion with professionals.
- View of professional expectations in our business culture.
- Understand the relationship between what you learn in class and a career.
- Verify if this is something that you want to make a career out of.
- See first-hand all aspects of a job - characteristics, responsibilities, day-to-day tasks.
- Learn from professionals what it takes to be successful in the field.
- Identify what one needs to learn to be a professional in this industry.
- Find out what employees do in the working world.
- Realize skills necessary to succeed in the workplace.
- Network with professionals in your field.
- Opportunity to impress a potential future interviewer.
STEPS TO PARTICIPATE:
- Preference is given to those who register early, i.e. one month prior to the Shadow Day.
- Be as specific as possible in your registration form as the shadow opportunity you are matched with is determined by your answers on the registration form.
- Wait to be contacted by the Shadow Program Administrator to see who has selected you, or where with which company you have been matched. This process takes place all throughout December and sometimes early January. The program administrator will contact you if more information is needed from you.
- Once you are matched, you will receive an email with pertinent information (i.e. company contact, location, etc.) Reach out to your shadow contact to introduce yourself.
- Prepare for your shadow day experience: research the company, prepare questions for the professionals you shadow. We will provide a guide when we inform you of your assigned shadow company.
- Send a professional thank you letter to all those at the company who let you interview and shadow them.
- Promptly complete the evaluation we send you.
Keep an open mind! We are limited to however many shadowing opportunities become available by companies and will attempt to match as many students as possible. However, there is no guarantee each student will be assigned to a shadow opportunity. If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
There is no guarantee each student will be assigned to a shadow opportunity. The program will do its best to identify companies and IT professionals for each willing student participant.
INFOTECH WNY SHADOW PROGRAM DISCLAIMER:
The Shadow Program is not intended as a job search mechanism; the students are participating for educational purposes only, not to perform work for the organizations involved. The organizers of this program are not placement professionals and have not pre-screened the students, their resumes or their academic credentials. Conversely, the organizers have also not screened the participating companies. We assume that the companies are viable, reputable companies who are offering this experience for the sake of expanding the knowledge of careers in the field of information technology.
Questions? Contact Melissa Ruggiero at firstname.lastname@example.org.